Wednesday, September 20, 2017

9/18/2017: Connected, but Alone?

The Ted Talk was basically about how the generations depend on their technology for everything. It includes having conversations, interacting with others online, it also distracts you from the human world. The name of this talk is called Connected, but Alone?

My biggest take away, or my "biggest" take away? I honestly am not sure I actually got one this time. It's kind of hard to get something out of this when only about 1/3 applies to your daily life. I think that it depends on whether or not we're connected, yet still alone. I know it's 2017 and all, but most people I'm around don't really use their phones much. I have 21 people on my dad's side and I rarely see them on their phones when we're together.

I have a love hate relationship when it comes to living in this age. I love it because I'm able to contact my birth mom (who lives in FL), some of it gives me entertainment, and also because it's an escape from awkward situations.

I usually last about 6 hours a day without my phone if you add it all together. It used to be more, but then my phone started glitching. I'm also not really sure if I feel like I'm "editing" myself when I'm online. Most of the time I'm just online so I can designing clothing sets on Polyvore, googling answers, or finding recipes. I'm not really one for social media. So all in all, I would say that my online self is just myself.

If I could choose to either text or have a conversation with someone, then I don't know what I would choose. It really depends on the situation or the person. I'd rather just keep to myself unless I'm talking to my counselor or friends. With my counselor I can already trust that she won't repeat anything unless it's serious. It's kinda her job. Same with my friends.

When I'm not using technology I like to spend my time in the kitchen making food, or in my room designing outfits on Polyvore or talking to friends in our group chat. I also just like to color in my Doctor Who coloring book. Sometimes I think it's just better to unplug and bring yourself back into the world without the distraction of the technology in front of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment